In addition to providing repair, replacement and security services for windows and doors, Lock & Roll can also provide advice and recommendations for people who want to keep their homes in top condition.
Inside the home
- Double hung windows – Ensure that springs or spirals are correctly adjusted.
- Awning and casement windows – Apply a light lubricant such as Lock & Roll’s Teflon spray to the rivets of window stays, followed by opening and closing the window about 10 times, to maintain ease of opening.
- Fixing catches and handles – Lubricate regularly, and replace as required.
- Maintaining sliding doors and windows – Do not oil rollers, instead wash them with hot soapy water.
Outside the home
- Maintaining powder-coated surfaces – regular cleaning every six months in country areas, monthly for industrial and seafront environments. Do not use solvent cleaners stronger than mineral turpentine or methylated spirits, and ensure the solvent is thoroughly rinsed from the surface.
- Caring for anodised surfaces – regular cleaning by abrading carefully with ultra fine grade green scouring pads.
- Checking putty – if your window has been reglazed recently, ensure that the rebate has been primed. Wait for about three weeks after reglazing for the oil to dry from the putty before applying primer. Old putty can be removed and replaced if your windows have become dried and cracked.
- Keeping hinges moving – Lubricate the butt hinges on wooden windows, but do not paint them.